Description of the Energy Star for Homes Certification Process
PART 2 (of 3): Mid Construction Inspection
How to keep the ENERGY STAR process going:
(click on highlighted bars below for additional resources)
1) Horizon will provide a description of components, surface areas, mechanical equipment and thermal values used to build the software energy model.
2) Notify Horizon RES when foundation is completed and when wall insulation is expected to start.
3) Review previously provided PRIF and provide updated copy in case of changes from original.
4) Provide documentation or model numbers on products and appliances when requested by Horizon RES.
*** Whenever ductwork is used for space heating and / or cooling distribution, an ACCA or Advanced Energy credentialed HVAC contractor must provide the design and installation services***
1) Full manual J load calcs including construction components need to be supplied to the rater.
2) Proper heating and cooling design temp for the area must be used.
3) Values used to project heating / cooling loads must match actual as built thermal values.
1) Provide 5 business days lead time to arrange for mid construction / wall insulation site inspection visit.
2) We must see ALL wall insulation prior to the installation of any sheetrock or other finish that prevents complete visual inspection. Photographs do not comply.
3) All wall insulation must be installed to grade 1 status.See wall insulation installation requirements here.
4) Verification of advanced framing, Duct install compliance, Window and door thermal values, ventilation equipment and strategy(s), slab insulation when applicable, lighting profile, fuels for heating, hot water, cooking and laundry will be documented at the mid construction site visit.
5) Review all 4 checklists again for any issues that may need to be fixed before dry walling / painting / finish trimming prohibits installation of a required ESTAR strategy (ie. ventilation, duct sealing, air sealing chases and gas fireplace bumpouts etc.)
6) We’ll notify you of any concerns or deficiencies in person and / or by email. If a return trip is required, Horizon RES reserves the right to invoice the client / ESTAR builder.
7) Provide proof or arrange for return visit by Horizon RES to verify correction of any deficiencies found at original mid construction site inspection.
REVIEW:VARIOUS DOCUMENTATION / DOCUMENTS YOU’LL NEED TO PROVIDE PRIOR TO OR AT MID CONSTRUCTION SITE VISIT.
(a)HVAC contractor must be credentialed by ACCA or AE.
(b)Accurate Manual J load calc from credentialed HVAC contractor, including component constructions.
(c) Updated copy of PRIF, when requested by Horizon RES NH LLC.
(d)Product documentation or model numbers when requested by Horizon RES NH LLC.
(e) NFRC stickers must be left on windows and doors until I have completed the mid construction site visit. All windows and most doors come w/ NFRC stickers attached. I will apply default values on any fenestration that does not have a sticker, which will penalize the rating and potential cash incentive.